Monday 18 May 2015

My First Encounter with a Romance Scam

I was contacted via Skype several times by a man named Daniel Peltier who apparently lived in the south of France.  Unlike the scam I am documenting, this guy went from zero to ninety in two weeks. This was quite unbelievable.  He also started talking to me on Facebook and his page at first only had me as his only friend.  However, for a day or so there was another woman on there and then she disappeared.  Mostly we had a lot of French conversations with English thrown in.  He loved me more than life and wanted to web cam but seldom could we get it to work where I could hear him but he could hear me.  I would have included a picture but I deleted them :-(   Suffice to say... he was pretty damn HOT!

As time went on, he informed me that he had to deliver some cars to Switzerland and then South Africa.  What do I know about this kind of business... not much.  A few days later he said the trip to Switzerland was canceled and he was heading the next day to South Africa... this perked up my spidey sense!!!  I was just waiting for the ax to drop.

A day after he left, he contacted me to say he had arrived and would talk to me later that day.   The next contact was laughable.  He had been attacked and everything was gone... his money, his phone, his computer, his plane ticket, and of course he had been physically assaulted. He was afraid for his life.

Of course I asked how he was contacting me?  DUH!  This was the best part... he was at immigration where the cars were and he was using the head of immigration's computer who very generously allowed him to access Skype, Facebook, etc.  Are you kidding me? lol

Of course he was asking me for $1500  which then came down to $1000.  I am not sure how low he was going to go since he said he needed to pay for the cars to be released and then he could get out of the country.  He would get the money back to me as soon as he could get to his bank back in France.   It seems he had no friends or co-workers or any way to contact his company to help him.  Pretty fantastic, don't you think?

Later that day his Facebook account was shut down.  I hadn't reported anything so I suspect that one of his victims was farther along in the process than me and pulled the plug on him.  He disappeared.

So as you can see... they are everywhere and have all kinds of tricks or so they think.  The clue is when they go somewhere that you would find Nigerians, something terrible happens and of course they need money.  As you will see... my story to a T.

Anyway I had a good chuckle over it.  Who would have thought this would have happened twice, back to back?  Not me.

BEWARE!!  GO WITH YOUR INTUITION OR GUT!  YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment